From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Looking for a mentor for a Portage SOC Project
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:34:53
1 On 15:22 Wed 30 Mar , Colleen Josephson wrote:
2 > I'm interested in expanding the Portage "tags" idea listed on the wiki.
3 > To make it SOC-worthy, it obviously needs to be expanded.
4 >
5 > I have thought of a few possibilities:
6 > -Integrate eix into Portage as a replacement to search
7
8 This sounds interesting, particularly if you could get portage to use an
9 eix-style cache to speed up dependency calculations too.
10
11 > -Add a Debian-apt style autocomplete
12
13 I think we have some bash-completion that does this already.
14
15 emerge www<tab><tab> gives:
16
17 : $;emerge www-
18 www-apache/ www-client/ www-plugins/
19 www-apps/ www-misc/ www-servers/
20
21 completing to www-client/ gives:
22
23 : $;emerge www-client/
24 amaya firefox-bin pybugz
25 arora galeon rekonq
26 chromium htmlview seamonkey
27 chromium-bin httrack seamonkey-bin
28 ck4up icecat surf
29 conkeror jd surfraw
30 dillo jumanji uget
31 downman links uzbl
32 elinks luakit w3m
33 epiphany lynx w3mir
34 epiphany-extensions midori w3mmee
35 fetch netrik
36 firefox opera
37
38 > -Add a flag to force the removal of config files when removing a package, if
39 > desired
40
41 I think this will be really really small, like the other bit about
42 listing installed commands/daemons. Both could probably be done in a
43 morning.
44
45 You could consider coupling this with other ideas, such as the "SCM
46 snapshot management infrastructure" that already has a suggested mentor,
47 which would also help with your other question about finding a mentor.
48 Another nice benefit of that idea is that nobody else has yet expressed
49 interest in applying for it.
52 Thanks,
53 Donnie
54