From: "Александр Берсенев" <bay@×××××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] rfc: reducing the time of "Calculating dependencies" phase project.
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:58:15
1 Hello,
2
3 my name is Alexander Bersenev, I am postgraduate of Institute of
4 Mathematics
5 and Mechanics(Russia).
6 I want to propose a project for GSoC 2013 and ask what do you think about
7 it.
8
9 In short: I want to reduce the "Calculating dependencies" phase of emerge.
10
11 On my notebook "emerge -pv bash" command takes 40 secs to calculate a deps.
12 If I launch it again, it take about 40 secs again(a have a lot of RAM, so
13 there was no HDD usage).
14
15 Of course, quick cprofile profiling showed no places to optimize because
16 such optimizations already have been made.
17
18 The main idea is add some caching layers(more high-level, than in
19 /usr/portage/metadata/md5-cache/). The main goal is to find and eliminate
20 repeated computations between "emerge" runs.
21
22 As part of work I plan to examine approaches of other pkg managers(yum,
23 aptitude).
24
25 I heard from Donnie Berkholz in IRC about pkgcore project. He said it works
26 faster in practice. But it has some problems with EAPI5 support.
27
28 What is better: actualize a pkgcore code or try to dig into portage? Or it
29 is
30 the bad ideas at all?
31
32 ----
33 Some info about me:
34 - github: https://github.com/alexbers/
35 - twitter: https://twitter.com/alex_bers
36 - I was participated in GSoC 2011 with Autodep(auto dependency checker)
37 project.
38 - I administer ~250 nodes cluster in Institute of Mathematics and Mechanics
39 - I use Gentoo as my primary OS since 2007.
40 - I interested in computer security. Participated in Defcon CTF(Las Vegas)
41 and in Nuit du Hack CTF(Paris, won 4000 euro) as member of Hackerdom
42 team.
43 Also we organize RuCTF and RuCTFE annual competitions, which likely are
44 the biggest in Russia(http://ructf.org/index.en.html).
45
46 ----
47