From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Before Applying, Questions About Time
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 09:03:24
1 On 04/04/2010 03:21 AM, Jacob Godserv wrote:
4 > The purpose of this e-mail is to express deep interest in contributing
5 > towards Gentoo in ways that I am most effective during GSoC, and ask
6 > what the expectations are for an applicant. Since I already have a
7 > job, the questions are written with that in mind:
8 > *) In your experience, how much time does a student spend on a
9 > project? I understand you aren't the student who does the work, or
10 > that students vary greatly, so I will be satisfied with whatever you
11 > can give me for an answer.
12
13 If you are not able to work full time on the project, then it's likely
14 that other students who can are preferred over you if their applications
15 are as good. For project planning purposes I will be requiring my
16 students to log the hours they spend on tasks so that we can track velocity.
17
18 > *) Who are these projects designed for? Are they designed for Gentoo?
19 > Or are they designed for a specific skill level? In other words, are
20 > they just a list of things that need to get done, and a student can
21 > pick the one that seems to fit them best Or are they all meant to be
22 > handled by a particular crowd, who can pick whatever?
23
24 The project ideas are mostly something that mentors think would benefit
25 Gentoo either as a whole or in the are of Gentoo that they themselves
26 works on. All ideas are open for everyone but if you for example take a
27 look at the Gentoo/Java subjects it helps in writing a good application
28 to already have some experience using our stuff.
29
30 > *) I always get very nervous whenever there are deadlines, because I
31 > know, in the field of programming at least, deadlines are
32 > extraordinarily hard to meet. What factors do you think determine
33 > success in a project? What made or broke previous students' plans?
36 Deadlines motivate people. For my own students I'll be doing project
37 management with them so you are not left to setting deadlines yourself.
38 I mainly require the applications to have good set of deliverables for
39 midterm and the whole project and then work iteratively towards those goals.
40
41 Regards,
42 Petteri