From: Andrea Arteaga <andyspiros@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Benchmarking suite - Report 4
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 00:18:38
1 Dear all
2 This is my fourth weekly report regarding the benchmarking suite project.
3
4 Last week I stated the following objectives:
5
6 * Enhancing the test suite for BLAS
7 * Generate a report with plots using gnuplot or matplotlib -- or both,
8 depending on the installed tools
9 * Support more libraries -- at least CBLAS and LAPACK
10 * Remove commands and use subprocess instead.
11
12 The module that tests BLAS is now splitted within a base module, which
13 contains more general code, and a small BLAS-specific part. The former is
14 also a base for the CBLAS testing, which is now complete. The base module
15 for both library has gained reporting possibilities, too. The reports are
16 generated through matplotlib, which creates clear plots and saves them as
17 PNG images.
18
19 The CBLAS testing suite required some adjustment of the BTL,
20
21 The testing acilities have been enhanced: now the user can more deeply
22 choose the tests that the suite performs; if the user doesn't want to test
23 level 3 BLAS routines, much valuable time can be saved. For that, some
24 modification of BTL was done. Some other adjustment of BTL was also needed
25 in order to support the CBLAS interface. Please refer to the /btl/libs/BLAS
26 directory on my overlay [1] for the source of the modified BTL.
27
28 Now, some consideration about the status of the project has to be done:
29 * The portage interface will need a lot of work, regarding the porting to
30 the portage APIs and solving the dependencies -- currently only packages
31 without not installed dependencies can be tested
32 * The BLAS and CBLAS libraries can already be tested on everything relevant
33 * The LAPACK module will be soon available for testing
34 * Some minor features about the costomization of the tests will be soon
35 added
36 * The reporting features are already usable. Much features -- export to
37 HTML, Latex, PDF,... -- can be added.
38
39 The initial project timeline had as important milestone the complete
40 usability of the testing suite -- excluded the reporting features -- for
41 BLAS, CBLAS and LAPACK within the mid-term evaluation. In order to keep this
42 limit, I have to implement the LAPACK module, enhance the portage interface,
43 add some customization features and perform tests, possibly on different
44 machines. I am very optimist about this plan.
45
46 Now, the objectives I will work for during the next week are:
47 * Implement the LAPACK module. This will require some other BTL extension,
48 in order to use this powerful framework. The Eigen community is very helpful
49 and I hope to accomplish the mission within the middle of the next week. I
50 will therefore receive news about the state of the project on Wednesday or
51 Thrusday.
52 * Add the most useful customization features. This is about, for instance,
53 letting the user define a script for each test, in order to set up the
54 environemnt system before the compilation of the library to test.
55 * Clean the code. Currently the repository contains some old piece of code
56 (not so old acually...); some classes can be splitted within a base class
57 and a subclass. Some design pattern can be applied, in order to keep the
58 project scalable and easily maintenable.
59
60 That's all for now.
61
62 Cheers