From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Welcome GSoC Students!
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:58:54
On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:33 PM, Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o> wrote:
[snip an awesome project]

> Automate it All > by Nirbheek Chauhan
It's "Automate it All"! =P The quotes are important. =) [snip other awesome projects] [snip some great advice]
Besides planet gentoo, there's also http://planet-soc.com -- the official GSoC planet :)
> > Code Management > - Gentoo uses a mix of CVS, SVN and Git internally. We recommend you > use an external code hosting service to help manage your code. Some of the > popular ones are: http://code.google.com/hosting/(SVN), > http://sourceforge.net/ (CVS/SVN) and http://repo.or.cz/ (Git).
Using external code hosting services makes keeping track of all the Gentoo projects painful at the very least. Some people will use code.google, others sf, launchpad, etc etc and one has to run around between all these websites to access the projects. So to make things easier for the students, mentors, and those who are interested in the code, Redmine has been setup at http://soc.gentooexperimental.org/ (hosting courtesy bonsakitten) for Gentoo SoC project management. Redmine was chosen over Trac for the following reasons: 1. Hosting multiple projects is trivial with Redmine compared to Trac 2. Redmine is *simple*. 3. Redmine doesn't provide inbuilt source code management, and instead can "watch" any repository you want. This makes managing projects which already have an exisiting repostory (such as portage for the revdep-rebuild project) very easily 4. Redmine provides a wiki, a forum, a bug tracker, release cycle, calendar for planning, fancy charts for stats, and will provide a mailing list in a future release. Redmine can manage bzr, svn, cvs, git, darcs, and mercurial repositories bzr, svn, and git repository management will be provided on the same server for projects that need it.
> One of the > explicit aims of the Community Bonding period is to get you upto speed with > the version control system you will be working with. Please contact your > mentor for help *before* signing up with a particular service. In some > cases, you may be expected to work on an existing repository - again - > contact your mentor for specifics.
[snip more great advice]