From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Booting the system...
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:39:12
1 Figured it out. I could have either adjusted the NVRAM setting for the 'disk' or move the Hard drive to the other slot (which is what I did).
2
3 Still running into problems with the boot process though - this solves #1. However, #2 is still a big issue. It doesn't seem to be finding a valid initrd image. Shouldn't genkernel have built a valid one to install?
4
5 TIA,
6
7 Ben
8
9 ----- Original Message ----
10 From: Benjamen R. Meyer <bm_witness@×××××.com>
11 To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
12 Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 3:57:19 PM
13 Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Booting the system...
14
15 I got the system installed, and everything seems to be okay with three
16 exceptions:
17
18 1) I have to run "boot disk1:1" at the PROM prompt to get the system to
19 boot. I assume I can set that into the PROM, just like I set the cdrom
20 to be what is boot, no? If not, how do I resolve that? FYI - In case it
21 matters, I did accidentally delete the #3 partition during the
22 partitioning, but recreated it using the 's' command in fdisk.
23
24 2) Just before #3 happens, I notice a message from the kernel stating it
25 can't find the initrd image located in /boot - generated by genkernel. I
26 didn't setup a _separate_ boot partition, but that shouldn't be an issue
27 for SILO should it?
28
29 3) The system loads the kernel, which runs a little, then switches vid
30 modes and blanks - it doesn't return to the screen like the 2007.0 2617
31 does when the atyfb is not disabled, it just blanks, and dies per #2.
32 Using 'video=atyfb:off' resolves this and reveals the messages. I'd
33 really like to be able to not have to use 'atyfb:off' as it really hurts
34 the eyes the way it reprints the screen all the time for the littlest
35 line movement. Any recommendations? (I could live with it if I
36 absolutely had to.)
37
38 FYI - after #3 the system completely hangs, and despite the message
39 about STOP+A, it doesn't work until I completely cycle the power the
40 system - no return to the PROM; the soft-power button _does_ work for this.
41
42 TIA,
43
44 Ben