From: freshy98 <freshy98@×××.net>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 06:10:17
> > Quoting freshy98 <freshy98@×××.net>: > > I already got emerged (vanilla-sources) so I will work on i > > tomorrow evening. > > This is about building a kernel for sunblade 100 but remember I am not on > gentoo, and am building upstream sources. > > Maybe your build system takes care of all this stuff for you? >
AFAIK the vanilla-sources ebuild are the plain sources fetched from without any "gentoo patches" added. That is done in/for the gentoo-sources ebuild.
> The main thing is that a .config is not needed, as it is generated from > the > supplied sources and adapts itself to the build platform. It is OK for > sunblade > 100 "out of the box" subject to the following changes. Following updates > and > corrects previous posts done from memory >
I didn't know "make menuconfig" build a default config for the used/chosen arch. I know there are def_config files which I use for MIPS for example. Could this be a Debian thing? Anyway, I will find out tonight.
> In the end I got 2 errors. > > drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.c:41: error: static declaration of 'errno' > follows non-static declaration > include/linux/unistd.h:4: error: previous declaration of 'errno' was here > > and the "patch" actually just edit the file to remove that line: > > drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.c > -static int errno; > +//static int errno; > > Did same for drivers/sbus/char/bbc_envctrl.c > > That is quite useless except to quickly continue the building. The end > result is > a warning about those two modules during make modules_install. > > WARNING: /lib/modules/ needs > unknow > n symbol errno > WARNING: /lib/modules/ needs > unknown sy > mbol errno > > I will look for a bug upstream and file one if needed, meanwhile maybe it > is > better for you to configure to avoid building those modules. Or maybe > gentoo > handles this for you already. >
What I do not understand is why you include SBUS stuff at all? The Blade 100 is PCI based and has no SBUS components?
> If you have to do this next step make sure you do not overwrite anything! > make install did not work. I just renamed them vmlinux- and > and copied .config to config- and then copied > those > into /boot. > > and ran yaird from /boot > yaird --verbose --output=/boot/initrd.img- > > the i edit /boot/silo.conf by adding > image=/vmlinux- > label=mylinux > initrd=/initrd.img- >
Never heard of yiard, but the Gentoo way seems fine to me. After "make" we do "make image" to trim the vmlinux down to a more normal size, then copy arch/sparc64/boot/image (could be /arc/sparc/sparc64/boot/, but it has been a while since I compiled a kernel for sparc) to /boot. Same goes for and .config. All using version numbers and a symlink for to from This is all described in the manual.
Tom -- 10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS/Monat +++ GMX - die erste Adresse für Mail, Message, More +++ -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list