From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Cc: Javier Barrio <coder@×××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] 2005.1 Profiles Deprecated - Java No Longer Supported
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 17:15:14
Javier, On my systems, building kaffe today results in this failure: ============================================================ touch compile-classes if test "" != ""; then -r -D gnu java javax org META-INF
if test "/usr/bin/jar" != ""; then /usr/bin/jar cf gnu java javax org META-INF; fi basename: missing operand Try `basename --help' for more information. Home for VM '' does not exist: ============================================================== To be fair, I suspect this is a side-effect of the fact that a while ago I was playing with various javas on sparc to see if there was one which could handle one specific application (netlogo). There was not. But I left my system in an unknown state from a java perspective. That said, at that time kaffe could be built, and it worked sort of. It probably could be made to work if you or someone wished to work on it. Another candidate is sablevm. It builds fine and seems to work (now, I built it by hand; not with the ebuild because the portage versions are out of date among other things. The problem I had with it is that is missing some features and the java version it corresponds to sun-jdk-1.3, and my application needs -1.4.?, or, better, -1.5. sablevm could possibly be made to work as Java on sparc, but it would require some effort (the product itself seems solid, but it to an older version of java. Now, I was playing with -1.12, and current is -1.13. I might play with it again myself, in fact. NOTE, however, that the portage version is 17 or 18 months out of date, so if you want to play with sablevm right now, it's do it yourself.) See for details. Note further that I am not a java user. I need one application which requires a java machine. If frustrated sparc java users would like to evaluate sablevm as a feasible java for gentoo sparc, I think that would be useful to us. Hope this helps; Regards, Ferris -- Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)