From: Alex McWhirter <alexmcwhirter@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Official SPARC64 Port
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 17:33:39
1 On 02/13/2016 06:25 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On 13 Feb 2016 04:26, Alex McWhirter wrote:
3 >> Well, time for more fun
4 >>
5 >> Copying over the 3.4.14 kernel from the install cd will make rsync work.
6 >>
7 >> Kernel 4.1.12 rsync is dead
8 >> Kernel 4.1.15 rsync is dead
9 >>
10 >> Since all sparc profiles use a 64bit kernel i would be heavily
11 >> interested in what kernel / options you are running.
12 > Linux bender 3.17.2 #2 SMP Tue Nov 11 18:56:20 UTC 2014 sparc64 sun4v UltraSparc T1 (Niagara) GNU/Linux
13 >
14 > [ 0.000000] Linux version 3.17.2 (root@bender) (gcc version 4.7.3 (Gentoo 4.7.3-r1 p1.5, pie-0.5.5) ) #2 SMP Tue Nov 11 18:56:20 UTC 2014
15 >
16 > config is attached
17 >
18 >> Using the kernel config from the CD on a newer kernel still results in a
19 >> broken rsync. So the kernel is either broken somehow or there's an
20 >> option somewhere that genkernel, the cd config, and myself are missing.
21 > or the toolchain is unhappy
22 > -mike
23
24 It's fairly likely that you will break rsync as well if you upgrade to a
25 4.X kernel as i have experienced this with an official install on
26 another box. I'm working on building a 3.14 kernel with a newer
27 toolchain to see what happens. 4.4.1 still has this issue, i may try
28 vanilla sources as well after 3.14.
29
30 I suppose its also likely that this could be a bug in rsync as well that
31 may have been relying on a bug in older kernels which was later fixed.
32 But this is all speculation at this point.