From: Jim Watson <jim@××××××××××××.au>
To: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
Cc: Alex Buell <alex.buell@××××××××××.uk>, Gentoo Sparc <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Re: Java on sparc
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 20:08:07
Ferris McCormick wrote:
> You might check out this forum thread: > > This points to a blackdown-1.4.1 beta version for sparc. Whether or not > it can be used on a system using a current compiler I do not know; it > seems it was built using gcc-3.2.xx > > Regards, >
It was a couple of years ago, my memory is vague. The blackdown 1.4 version had problems building - random crashes at certain modules, not properly reproducible. Also there were some important security fixes I believe did not get done in the sparc version. Then 1.4 just stopped working on my debian system - something about shared libraries (libc?) not compatible, but I had already changed to gcj at that stage so I did not pursue that. Blackdown had patches for 1.5 but not enough people with know-how to help get it released. My personal interest is about java for The ooo-build developers (incl redhat, debian & novell) have put patches upstream so OOo builds and runs using ecj for java parts and gstreamer for the media parts in OOo that would otherwise require the Java Media Framework (JMF) that also is not ported to sparc last time I looked. And debian provides an ecj for sparc. I don't know about the politics or licence issues but it seems that gnu and the other distributions have all committed to ecj? thanks jim -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list