From: "Eduardo Dueñez" <eduenez@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Keyboard-related problems
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:52:24
1 Hi all:
2
3 I'm new to Gentoo (2004-2), which I just installed on an Ultra 10.
4 I'm loving it, but I have a couple of questions (I used Stage 3 and
5 the GRP packages: the only software I've compiled locally is the
6 kernel).
7
8 I'm running kdm. Now, in the x86 architecture, I can switch back and
9 forth between X and the virtual consoles using Ctrl-Alt-F[n], but that
10 does not seem to work here. In fact, I cannot use other shortcuts
11 that I'm used to in KDE, such as Alt-F2 to launch the "Run Command..."
12 window. However, Alt-F4 does work to close windows.
13
14 Even stranger is the fact that my keyboard's "b" doesn't do what it
15 should. From KDM (or the console, for that matter) it's fine, only
16 once I enter KDE it becomes nonfunctional. I suspect it's mapped
17 incorrectly, since pressing "b" seems to cause a half-second freeze.
18 However, shifted "B" works fine!!! In fact, if caps is locked then
19 just pressing "B" causes the same "freeze" but Shift-"b" gives the
20 (correct) lowercase "b"!!!
21
22 Actually, pressing "b" at the address bar of Mozilla caused it to
23 crash: yet another indication that "b" is being mapped to some weird
24 character or escape sequence.
25
26 I'm using a Sun Type-6 keyboard configured as a Type-5. I strongly
27 suspect this is fine since from KDM everything works, only upon
28 entering KDE do things behave erratically (and then only the Alt'ed
29 keys and that pesky "b").
30
31 Thanks,
32 Eduardo