From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Cc: Jim Watson <jim@××××××××××××.au>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] GWN "Want ad" for sparc architecture testers
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:58:09
1 On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 14:25 +0100, Alex Buell wrote:
2 > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:41:59 +1000, I waved a wand and this message
3 > magically appears in front of Jim Watson:
6 > > It is also needed to find if a problem is sparc related - test on
7 > > different platforms. I can help you with that.
8 > >
9 > > There are currently not any bugs upstream that are specific to sparc.
10 > >
11 > > I am not a gentoo user, but doing the upstream OOo port for sparc
12 >
13 > Right, I've tried unmasking the OOO ebuild on sparc and building it -
14 > it stopped with an error probably ~50% though. I can try this again and
15 > file bug reports if that's necessary?
16 >
17 > As for there being a lack of a Java VM on sparc, if anyone's working on
18 > porting Sun's JVM, I can help with testing the builds.
19
20 Supposedly, this is very hard to hopeless (according to sun). There are
21 more promising alternatives, such as jamvm or perhaps cacao. I have
22 played a bit with jamvm, and I think it could be made to work. It's
23 mostly a matter of figuring out what order the arguments to a couple
24 macros which are used for test-and-swap are given, and making a few
25 memcopy macros work right. I've had it running; just not quite
26 correctly.
27
28 jamvm (or something like it) would make a very nice project. Sun java
29 would probably not (I think sun have it on their to-do list, but
30 considered long-term and difficult).
31
32 If you want to be an AT, please set it up with jmbsvicetto or with me;
33 it's mostly a matter of getting you through the ebuild quiz.
34 > Alex
35 > --
36 > http://www.munted.org.uk
37 >
38 > Fearsome grindings.
39
40 Regards,
41 --
42 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
43 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)