From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] after switched harddisk users can login no more
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 04:00:00
Hello. Recently I have replaced my old 160GB IDE harddisk with 320GB
SATA harddisk (using PCI VT6421 IDE RAID Controller), this is what I
     1. connect both old harddisk and new one to the PCI IDE Controller;
     2. partition the new harddisk (because it is originally labeld as
        MSDOS harddisk since I bought it, I partitioned it using MSDOS
        partition table, a.k.a not sun disk label. I guess it's no
        problem because this harddisk is not the booting harddisk);
     3. all partitions are created in ext3, mount to /mnt
        as /mnt/root /mnt/home etc
     4. do "cp -avR" for each partition;
     5. edit /etc/fstab to mount new harddisk partitions rather then old
     6. reboot, it works, I can log as root, all services running fine
        (including ftp etc)
     7. remove old harddisk;

So far everything is smooth untill I found I cannot login the host
(named sappho) as anyone other then root.

yuliansu@esmeralda:~> ssh zhangweiwu@sappho
Last login: Wed Dec 13 00:51:51 2006 from
Could not chdir to home directory /home/zhangweiwu: Permission denied
/bin/bash: Permission denied
Connection to sappho closed.

yuliansu@esmeralda:~> ssh root@sappho
Last login: Wed Dec 13 00:52:07 2006 from
sappho ~ #

Strangely: it seems everybody do have permission to run /bin/bash

sappho ~ # ls -lh /bin/bash
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 693K Feb  9  2006 /bin/bash

This is rather strange, such thing never happend (have permission to run
but get "Permission denied") in my 6 years of using Linux. Can I get
some of your suggestions? Is it because I didn't label the harddisk with
sun disk label?