From: "Eduardo Dueñez" <eduenez@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Cc: cjr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Keyboard-related problems
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:14:06
Dear Chris:

Unfortunately I'm still stuck with the keyboard problem in my Ultra
10.  I am starting to suspect this has to do more with a bug in KDE
and nothing with the xkb configuration through xorg.conf (by the way,
I don't have XFree but Xorg... that is what is in the GRP CD 2004-2
that I have.  I have *not* compiled any software, much less

Although my Sun keyboard is clearly labeled "Type 6", when I tried
using the rules per rules/sun.lst for a Type 6 the keymap was totally
messed up from the KDM login screen (I had to SSH remotely and shut
KDM down).  However, when set up as a Type 5 with

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard 1"
Driver    "keyboard"
Option    "Autorepeat"  "500 30"
Option    "XkbRules"     "sun"
Option    "XkbModel"     "type5"
Option    "XkbLayout"    "us"

things seem to work perfectly from KDM in the local console.  Remote X
client applications work OK.  But launching a KDE session from KDM
locally gives a 99+% functional keyboard, except that the lowercase
"b" does weird things.  Weirdest of all, the key does work *sometimes*
in Mozilla's address bar!!!  Other times it makes Mozilla crash.  It
seems to work only immediately Mozilla's window is maximized and until
the window loses focus.  The terminal, KEdit or other apps don't seem
to like the "b", except for the weird half-second lag.

Am I going insane or is this the weirdest bug ever?

Any help, insight or spiritual guidance would be much appreciated.