From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@××××××××.org>
Cc: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] what ultrasparc compare likely such Pentium box on desktop performance
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:19:48
1 Keith M Wesolowski wrote:
2 [snip]
3
4 >Finally, as always, understand your workload
5 >before buying.
6 >
7 Here, again, I wanna be suggested by you experts.
8
9 1) I am a saleman (luckly, I am just technical enough to use gentoo, not
10 any more). My work mostly involve mozilla and openoffice, acroreader etc.
11 2) I have been using an very old notebook I brought several years ago,
12 thinkpad with Pentium 1G. Later the CPU gets burned, so replaced a
13 800MHz. I don't use desktop computer.
14
15 I want to have a sparc desktop now. We are using in the company very
16 complicated web-based database and customer management system, I usually
17 (with my notebook) wait 8 seconds untill one webpage fully loaded,
18 because each page is too complicated with javascript and lots of forms
19 and tables. (Network is very fast.) I hate to let my customer wait 8
20 seconds on the phone untill I could see the customer's record, because 8
21 seconds feels like 80 seconds on the phone, and sometimes I need to go
22 through 3~5 pages untill I can find a customer record. So mainly, I wish
23 mozilla is multi-threads and my new sparc could make this very
24 application (mozilla) go faster.
25
26 A) is U2 with dual 400Mhz fast enough for me?
27 B) how about U60 with dual CPU?
28
29 I don't want to buy anything too fast, I always have other better way to
30 spend my money:)
31
32 And Gary Nichols wrote:
33
34 > Ultra1: Well built, cheap on ePay, very quiet. Excellent in a server
35 > capacity, "so-so" in workstation configuration. Gentoo LOVES these
36 > boxes. Decent expandability for a single proc box.
37 >
38 > Ultra2: Best built, cheap on ePay, but LOUD. In a 10x10 office, it
39 > gets old. In a larger room with other boxes, you may not notice.
40 > Excellent in a server capacity, also excellent in workstation with
41 > 2x300/2M or faster procs. Hands down the best box Sun ever made. VERY
42 > expandable. Gentoo just zooms on this box. Excellent SMP operations.
43 >
44 > Ultra5: PC-quality case, slow PCI, onboard graphics poor. Louder than
45 > average PC. Good as a stackable single-use server. 333/2M is best
46 > proc for overall, IMO. Not real expandable. Gentoo works.
47 >
48 > Ultra10: OK case, but the implementation of the "lid" is poor. Quiet.
49 > Crappy IDE/PCI. Decent as a workstation, ok as a server. Gentoo works.
50 >
51 > Ultra30: Built like a tank - Heavy! Lots of room inside case. Almost
52 > as loud as an U2. Good as a workstation or server. Probably tied
53 > with the U60 as the second best machine Sun ever made. Gentoo loves
54 > this box.
55 >
56 > Ultra60: Solid case - very similar to U30 except that you can have two
57 > processors. Very fast. Good graphics options. Loud as U30. I'm on
58 > this box right now - running Gentoo!
59
60 > If you really want some excitement in your life, put an e250 under
61 > your desk. ZOOOOOM! Loud, but very fast and very expandable with
62 > procs, memory and storage. Highly recommended - and Gentoo just rips
63 > along.
68 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list