From: Hamish Greig <hgreig@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Another quiet question
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 01:34:05
1 Leif, lose the attitude. You are asking questions of this list and
2 asking the list to do work ascertaining what you have done and what you
3 are capable of doing. Please read
4 http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
5 We know nothing of your problems except that you can cut and paste
6 errors. I am not offended by your terseness, just frustrated that you
7 aren't being forthcoming with more information, which would allow people
8 to immediately help or state inability to help past where you have
9 already got to. The extra information you have given below doesn't
10 particularly help and as I think you want the problem fixed I suggest
11 you become involved in the solution instead of expecting a solution to
12 be given to you because you are using gentoo's product. Open source tech
13 support doesn't work like that unless you have a support contract (== $$$)
14 Thanks
15 Hamish
16
17 Leif Sawyer wrote:
18 > Hamish Greig [mailto:hgreig@×××××××××××.au]
19 >> I think the reason no-one responds to your posts are because
20 >> they are not structured in any methodical way. No sequence
21 >> showing how you've already tried to investigate the problem,
22 >> just a post asking for an answer, which doesn't get a lot of
23 >> respect from people who've taken time and effort to learn
24 >> things already.
25 >
26 > I'm sorry that my terseness offends your sensibilities. All
27 > the information that I had available was in the post, i.e.,
28 > gcc failed to build.
29 >
30 >> What more than this dump can you tell us about this error?
31 >
32 > it's reproducable. it's not caused by OOM, but obviously by
33 > a build-level error, because certain objects that the source
34 > code thinks should be available, aren't. Perhaps looking at
35 > the detail I provided a bit closer might reveal that fact, in
36 > an obvious sort of manner (i.e., an ld error)
37 >
38 >> What have you already done to investigate it? what level of
39 >> skill do you have in this area? are we expected to fix it for
40 >> you step by step or to guide you to a resolution?
41 >
42 > Since I'm neither a maintainer, nor a GCC developer, but simply
43 > a gentoo-sparc user, my job is to report the bugs that I see.
44 >
45 > If you are a developer or maintainer, one might questions the
46 > validity in your stance of attacking users for not providing
47 > the information that -you- feel is needed, instead of simply
48 > asking for additional detail.
49 >
50 > It's no wonder the list is dry and gentoo is losing it's path.
54 gentoo-sparc@l.g.o mailing list