From: Aggelos <marmango@××××××××.gr>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] emerging of silo fails
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:47:20
1 on 09/17/2007 10:12 PM Dereck Martin wrote the following:
2 > I have been running gentoo on a sparc64 since 2004.0 or 2005.0 release.
3 > I know it isn't sparc32, but unless you have some dire need to run a
4 > 2.4 kernel I would suggest running a 2.6 kernel.
5
6 Please see my reply to Brant Williams' post.
7
8 Beside that its
9 > getting increasingly difficult to install gentoo under a 2.4 profile.
10 >
11 > I think we all sometimes forget gentoo is a progressive linux and is
12 > always changing. Because of this it is only backward compatible to a
13 > short period of time in the past, like a year. Unlike the other
14 > distributions (red hat/SuSe, etc) where you can install older versions
15 > this distribution sorta requires you to stay somewhat current with the
16 > times. =)
17
18 I'm experiencing it first hand ;)
21 > Not saying it is impossible. For instance I run a few machines in 2.4
22 > profile because I use them for an OpenMosix cluster. That has been
23 > removed from portage for months now, but I can still install it because
24 > I copied the 2006.0 profile and all the required files to a portage
25 > overlay directory so I could still use it even when gentoo stopped
26 > supporting it. You may have to do this same technique in order to use
27 > your 2.4 kernel and stuff,
28
29 Good idea. ;)
30 How should I proceed? I guess it must me quite simple but, I would
31 appreciate your help.
32
33 Aggelos.
34 --