From: Pilage <pilage@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Java Support on Sparc plattform.
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 21:18:10
1 Ferris probably answered your question, but i looked back and found this
2 sent to this list on sept. 5
3
4 --------------------------------------
33 --
34 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list
35 -------------------------------------
36
37 On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:09:50 -0600, Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
38 wrote:
39
40 > On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 14:32 -0600, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
41 >> harald wrote:
42 >> > Hello,
43 >> >
44 >> > recently downloaded and installed Gentoo on my Sparc Sun machine.
45 >> > Unfortunately i did not find any package containing java for this
46 >> > architecture. is it possible to install any other java (source)
47 >> package
48 >> > instead? is java support planned by gentoo foundation for these types
49 >> of
50 >> > machines?
51 >>
52 >> The foundation has very little to do with development.
53 >>
54 >> > please let me know, java support is very important for me.
55 >>
56 >> Last I heard, the last version of java that worked on sparc was
57 >> blackdown 1.4.2
58 >> (or something like that), but it had a security bug. If java on sparc
59 >> is really
60 >> important to you, then you probably need to run Solaris. Alternatively,
61 >> you can
62 >> convince the blackdown guys (or one of the other JRE/JDK providers) to
63 >> do
64 >> another sparc release.
65 >
66 > Rumor has it that sun is opening the source to their JRE/JDK, although I
67 > can't confirm nor do I know quite what that actually means. If true,
68 > though, a user on IRC has expressed a strong interest in working on it,
69 > and if all that happens, I am sure we would support the effort.
70 > Unfornately I don't recall off hand who that was. You might /join
71 > #genoo-sparc (on freenode) and ask who the user is and make contact with
72 > him.
73 >
74 > There are one or two java source packages in portage which do build and
75 > run. But if "java support is very important for [you]," you would
76 > almost certainly find them to be deficient.
77 >>
78 >> --
79 >> Andrew Gaffney
80 >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
81 >> Gentoo Linux Developer Installer
82 >> Project
83 >> Today's lesson in political correctness: "Go asphyxiate on a
84 >> phallus"
85 >
86 > Hoping this information is useful to you,
87 > Regards,
92 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list