From: Philip Leonard <leolists@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Software Compilation
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:36:34
1 Gary wrote:
2 > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Paul Heinlein wrote:
3 >
4 >> Aside from the previously mentioned lockups with 2.6 kernels, Gentoo
5 >> Linux has for me been a far better working environment than any other
6 >> OS I've loaded on my SPARC: Solaris, Debian, and OpenBSD. It's stable
7 >> to the point of boring. :-)
10 > Isn't that the truth. I log in once a week (or sooner if a security
11 > advisory gets posted) and run an 'emerge sync' and 'emerge system'.
12 >
13 > *yawn*
14 >
15 > The SPARCs really love Gentoo, they just run and run and run...
16 >
17 > My next project will be move an e250 and an e450 to Gentoo... then those
18 > boxes will be boring too. :-)
19
20 I'm certainly jealous. My E4500 will only run a couple of days before
21 it hangs requiring a reboot. Sometimes it will still respond to pings
22 but that's all. Never any console messages, just a hung box. On my
23 uniprocessor sparc's (U5 and U30) is is very stable but not on the E4500
24 with 8 CPU's. It is running Gentoo with a 2.4 kernel (2.4.31 at the
25 moment).
26
27 Philip
28 --