From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@×××.com>
To: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o, eradicator@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-sparc] 2.6.7 Kernel stability (was: RE: [gentoo-sparc ] ALSA support on s parc)
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:23:52
4 > > make -j all
5 > >
6 > > uptime: 09:41:41 up 10m, 2 users, load avg: 200.90, 65.79, 23.42
7 > > ...
8 > > Dec 3 09:48:05 VM: killing process apache2
9 >
10 > > OOMkiller 'feels' more aggressive in -rc2, but still
11 > > doesn't have the instability that gds-267-r16 has
12 >
13 > [...]
14 >
15 > I question the use of make -j as a stress test. What is the desired
16 > behaviour of running this command, other than not to crash the OS?
19 The desired behaviour was to hard-stress the system and determine at what
20 patch-point the crashing behaviour was introduced.
21
22 I reported that gds-267-r16 hard-crashed in under 2m of this stress test
23 due to bugs in the memory allocation process (to my untrained eye)
24
25 Jeremy asked me to check 2.6.7-rc1 and 2.6.7-rc2 to see if the bug was
26 evident in either of those.
27
28 I reported that it wasn't.
29
30 The entire point of this is to determine why lockups are happening
31 on SMP Ultra-2 sparcs.
32
33 Since I'm not seeing any lockups -- except for gds-267-r16, under this
34 stress
35 test, this is the only method I have at this point to evaluate different
36 kernels.
39 My reporting of when the OOM and VM killers strike is merely to show the
40 slight
41 difference in kernel operation, and to show where (if any) instability might
42 be creeping in.
43
44 For instance, in the same period of time, the VM killer did not strike in
45 -rc1,
46 yet did strike in -rc2. Is this a cause for concern? Not for me. Maybe
47 for
48 somebody who understands the internal differences. Hence I pass on the
49 info.
50 Note that I was not extremely detailed in my reporting of it, although I do
51 have the full logfile for anybody who is that interested.
54 leif

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature