From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@×××.com>
To: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o, eradicator@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-sparc] 2.6.7 Kernel stability (was: RE: [gentoo-sparc ] ALSA support on s parc)
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:23:52
Keith M Wesolowski writes:
> > > make -j all > > > > uptime: 09:41:41 up 10m, 2 users, load avg: 200.90, 65.79, 23.42 > > ... > > Dec 3 09:48:05 VM: killing process apache2 > > > OOMkiller 'feels' more aggressive in -rc2, but still > > doesn't have the instability that gds-267-r16 has > > [...] > > I question the use of make -j as a stress test. What is the desired > behaviour of running this command, other than not to crash the OS?
The desired behaviour was to hard-stress the system and determine at what patch-point the crashing behaviour was introduced. I reported that gds-267-r16 hard-crashed in under 2m of this stress test due to bugs in the memory allocation process (to my untrained eye) Jeremy asked me to check 2.6.7-rc1 and 2.6.7-rc2 to see if the bug was evident in either of those. I reported that it wasn't. The entire point of this is to determine why lockups are happening on SMP Ultra-2 sparcs. Since I'm not seeing any lockups -- except for gds-267-r16, under this stress test, this is the only method I have at this point to evaluate different kernels. My reporting of when the OOM and VM killers strike is merely to show the slight difference in kernel operation, and to show where (if any) instability might be creeping in. For instance, in the same period of time, the VM killer did not strike in -rc1, yet did strike in -rc2. Is this a cause for concern? Not for me. Maybe for somebody who understands the internal differences. Hence I pass on the info. Note that I was not extremely detailed in my reporting of it, although I do have the full logfile for anybody who is that interested. -- leif

File name MIME type
smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature