From: Alex Buell <alex.buell@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Linux/SPARC64 Hardware Compatibility List
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:02:51
1 On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 15:01 -0800, BRM wrote:
2
3 > I had two issues with it:
4 > 1. The QLogic QLA2000 controller.
5 > Namely because you have to build the initrd disk image to load before
6 > you can get to the hard drive, at least post 2.6.16 or 2.6.18. May be
7 > they corrected that again; not sure. (Issue was a firmware blob was
8 > needed; I somewhere 2.6.16-18 they stopped letting you build the blob
9 > into the kernel, thus the initrd was then required and not easy to get
10 > setup either.)
11 >
12 > 2. The NIC, at least when I ran it several years back, didn't auto-sense
13 > properly.
14 >
15 > However, I can't say if either of those are still issues or not since
16 > I am no longer at the company where I had that box, so I don't run the
17 > Sparc64 one any more. It'd be great to know if those issues were
18 > resolved as I do know of another equivalent box that was running into
19 > those same issues, and the maintainers aren't as savvy - they may not
20 > be using it now as a result. So it'd be nice to get them going on it
21 > again.
22
23 I did not encounter issues with the FC-AL disks nor with the gigabit
24 ethernet cards, so yes, these probably have been resolved.
25
26 I use an initrd (ramfs) with the kernel to boot the disks, was a
27 complete PITA to get set up but once booting it all works beautifully. I
28 put the firmware into the initrd, but compiling the firmware into the
29 kernel also works just as well but the initrd method is probably better
30 contrary to the wisdom put forth in the sparc forums on Gentoo.
31 --
32 Tactical Nuclear Kittens