From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: bertrand <joel.bertrand@××××××××.fr>
Cc: sparclinux@×××××××××××.org, Gentoo Sparc <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Re: [Repost] Ultra2 SMP freezes with heavy disk I/O
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:41:43
1 On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 10:53 +0100, bertrand wrote:
2 > Ferris McCormick a écrit :
4 > > Hash: SHA1
7 --- snip ---
8
9 > >>
10 > >> JKB
11 > >
12 > > This is a problem with U2+kernel-2.6.x generally. Unfortunately, I
13 > > have no suggestions nor do I have a solution. I just grit my teeth and
14 > > stay with the kernel-2.4.x series, which are completely stable on U2,
15 > > so far as I can tell.
16 >
17 > What is your U2 configuration ? I have only one U2 and I cannot test on
18 > this station because it's a mail server :-( In fact, I think it should
19 > be interesting to know if this trouble come from SMP, ESP or Sbus
20 > support. It is impossible to build a kernel with debug information (it
21 > does not boot due to a address not aligned...), but I have tested the
22 > same kernel on a U1E (with the same ESP chip and two additional
23 > HappyMeal Ethernet cards on Sbus slots). It perfectly works. Can you try
24 > a 2.6 on U2 without SMP support ?
25 >
26 > Regards,
27 >
28 > JKB
29
30 I have 2 U2's; U2(2x300), U2(2x400). The SMP doesn't matter, though; U2
31 with 2.6.x will freeze eventually even if a uniprocessor. SMP just lets
32 it fail more quickly. Problem is believed to be SCSI or Sbus, I think,
33 but I don't know that anyone is sure. The kernel people have known
34 about this for well over a year, but no fix.
35
36 For more current information, you might ask squash@g.o or
37 weeve@g.o --- I haven't tried 2.6 on U2 for a while because no
38 one has claimed to have a fix for this problem. (Gentoo spent a lot of
39 time on this freeze a few months ago, but no satisfaction. I am sure,
40 though, that we ruled out SMP as the problem.)
41
42 > -
43 Regards,
46 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
47 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)