From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] 2.6 kernel development
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:14:44
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Sat, 17 Sep 2005, Jason Williams wrote:
5
6 > hmm, interesting ... I admit, it's been a few months since I've tried,
7 > but when I did, I eventually gave up and got hold of the old 2.6.6
8 > tree. Like Ciaran said, it's likely just the difference in hardware
9 > because the machine I have here that runs gentoo is a U60 while the
10 > one at work is a U5. That said though, I did run a very stable 2.6
11 > kernel on this very same U60 a few months back in debian. What this
12 > line of thought leads to though is that debian gives you the most
13 > universally working 2.6 kernel version levels by default, so I must
14 > now ask: who out there runs a stable 2.6 kernel on a U60, so I'll know
15 > what version works best on it?
18 The kernel-2.6.xx series seems stable on a U5. There are kernel issues
19 with all 2.6.xx kernels on U60, depending on just what U60 you have. For
20 example, most kernel-2.6.xx versions are reasonably (but not completely)
21 stable for me on U60(2x300) system, but no kernel 2.6.xx I've tried has
22 been usable on my U60(2x450) under any sort of load. Only difference
23 between the systems is the CPU set. (Well, memory might be different, but
24 disks are the same with similar partitioning scheme.)
25
26 This problem is under investigation by the kernel developers (davem and
27 crew), but nothing has fixed this problem yet. And for your information,
28 a while ago a debian user reported seeing this problem on a debian U2
29 system, so it does not seem to be Gentoo-specific. We see it for Gentoo
30 on U2, U60, and Netra systems, and it is easily verified.
31
32 Current usable (but still somewhat unstable) system for me on U60(2x300)
33 is 2.6.13-rc4-vanilla out of sys-kernel/vanilla-sources, although that
34 kernel is out of date. I think people are having some success with
35 2.6.14, but so far as I know the periodic lock-up problem is still
36 present. If you join #gentoo-sparc IRC freenode channel, you can ask
37 around and get more current information. (Also, you might get better
38 information on the 2-Creator problem you are seeing. That's supposed to
39 work, but I don't have a system I can test it on.)
43 > All that said, it is good to know now that there's more cooperation
44 > between the sparc porting developers than I'd previously thought.
45 > Thanks guys.
46 >
47 > jbw
48 >