From: Norman Warthmann <norman@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] what ultrasparc compare likely such Pentium box on desktop performance
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:43:31
1 Dear all,
2
3 my 2 cent:
4 I have an Ultra 10, creator 3d, 440 MHz
5
6 uname -a
7 Linux xxxxxxxxxxxxx 2.4.23-sparc-r1 #2 Sun Feb 22 02:10:46
8 UTC 2004 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc IIi (Sabre) GNU/Linux
9
10 I have 2 Disks (hooked up
11 on IDE as master and slave, cable select as the sun manual
12 says did NOT work!) 10 gig and 120 Gig. my system is on the
13 10 Gig and my home directory on the 120 gig.
14 Someone recently on this forum was complaining that he could not get
15 openoffice compiled? I had the same problem because PORTAGE_TMPDIR
16 just got way too big for the small HD. I had to set my
17 PORTAGE_TMPDIR to my bigger HD and then it compiled just
18 fine.
19
20 my gentoo is not annoyingly slow and can even stream my mp3s over the web
21 (gnump3d with lame). The on-board sound is also working. It is too slow for
22 watching big movies, though. When somebody asked me whether he should prefer
23 a sun over a x86 as a desktop computer, I would probably say NO, because for
24 daily use I have annoying limitations. E.g: I am using mozilla and I have
25 not found a way yet to listen to radio streams in wma and realplayer format.
26 I was not able to install a flashplayer plugin and thus some webpages render
27 unusable. Movies that come as .wmv files I am unable to view using "xine", I
28 tried mplayer also, but I got tired of trying, trying, trying. There
29 probably is a way to convert them into .avi or something else, but as I
30 said, if you have something else to do, like I finishing up my PhD, you are
31 better off using linux on x86 because here everything just works, and if not
32 you use wine. (But still, I love my sun ;-))
33
34 cheers
35
36 Norman
89 >
90 > --
91 > gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list
96 Max-Planck-Institute for Developmental Biology
97 Department of Molecular Biology
98 Tuebingen, Germany
99
100 http://www.smartgradstudent.de/email.signature.html