From: Alex Buell <alex.buell@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Why is a simple hello world in 64 bit assembly program 65k bytes long?
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:52:39
1 On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 09:12:43 +1100, I waved a wand and this message
2 magically appears in front of Hamish Greig:
3
4 > Have you tried a 32-bit program to see if it is the bits or the code ?
5 > Have you tried a 32-bit and 64-bit simple c program to see if it is
6 > an assembly problem and not a 64-bit problem ?
7
8 I did compile a 32 bit version of the same code; it was just 1k. I
9 think it might be pulling in unnecessary stuff.
10
11 > I understand you are an experienced programmer and might have already
12 > tried these things, I ask only because you don't mention any details
13 > of having investigated the problem prior to emailing the list.
14 > You would problably have more replies on the binutils or gcc lists,
15 > although without evidence that you have investigated the problem
16 > somewhat, they might also not respond, not knowing what technical
17 > level of response you will understand.
18
19 Yeah, thanks, I will ask on the more specific Sparc mailing lists
20 rather than the Gentoo lists.
21
22 The reason why I ask is because I want to help to get 64bit userland
23 upand running on my Ultra 2, I was thinking along the lines of having a
24 mix of 32bit and 64bit userland stuff.
25 --
26 http://www.munted.org.uk
27
28 Fearsome grindings.