From: Klaus Wagner <klaus@××××××××××.net>
To: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
Cc: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@××××××××.org>, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] what ultrasparc compare likely such Pentium box on desktop performance
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:50:23
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 06:19:25PM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Here, again, I wanna be suggested by you experts. > > 1) I am a saleman (luckly, I am just technical enough to use gentoo, not > any more). My work mostly involve mozilla and openoffice, acroreader etc. > 2) I have been using an very old notebook I brought several years ago, > thinkpad with Pentium 1G. Later the CPU gets burned, so replaced a > 800MHz. I don't use desktop computer. > > I want to have a sparc desktop now. We are using in the company very > complicated web-based database and customer management system, I usually > (with my notebook) wait 8 seconds untill one webpage fully loaded, > because each page is too complicated with javascript and lots of forms > and tables. (Network is very fast.) I hate to let my customer wait 8 > seconds on the phone untill I could see the customer's record, because 8 > seconds feels like 80 seconds on the phone, and sometimes I need to go > through 3~5 pages untill I can find a customer record. So mainly, I wish > mozilla is multi-threads and my new sparc could make this very > application (mozilla) go faster. > > A) is U2 with dual 400Mhz fast enough for me? > B) how about U60 with dual CPU?
A uses an sbus, B pci (64bit) A has one GRAPHICS BUS, B has two (if you want to go for dual head) I am using B with 755 MB RAM and two CPUs (i thing ~300 mhz but i don't know) I don't think that Sparc II Systems can compete with well balanced P3 and P4 Systems. (maybe dual 480 MHZ) But it's cool to have dual CPU and there is one way to boost Sparc Systems: Get as much memory you can effort and hope everything will get cached in Memory, then the Performace is quite good, even for single threaded Desktop applications (at least 512 MB, 1GB + would be fine) regards klaus -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list