From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] QLA2xxx
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:58:04
BRM wrote:
> --- Ivan Kabaivanov <chepati@×××××.com> wrote: >> On Thursday 28 February 2008, BRM wrote: >>> Thanks. Quick additional Q though - >>> where's the best place to store the initrd? USB? Floppy? CD? >> the most logical place -- /boot, right next to the kernel image. > > Obviously - but on what storage medium? > > If the kernel can't access the hard drive connected to the QLA2xxx > controller, then I can't mount /boot if it is on the hard drive. Sure, > the OpenBoot PROM might be able to load SILO from the hard drive, but > then can SILO load the kernel from the hard drive (probably)? So, it > comes back to my question - can the system boot from a USB device? > > Otherwise, I have to either do a network boot (not sure how initrd > retrieval works there; but I don't really have the resources to do that > any way), or use the floppy or CD; or go to OpenSolaris.
Are you being purposely dense? It's already been stated (probably more than once) that SILO is capable of loading the kernel *and* initramfs from the disk via OBP. You don't need to stick the initramfs on any other medium. As for booting from USB, I'm not sure. I don't have any systems with USB, so I can't test it myself. However, my guess would be no. -- Andrew Gaffney Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator -- gentoo-sparc@l.g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-sparc] QLA2xxx BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>