From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] QLA2xxx
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:58:04
1 BRM wrote:
2 > --- Ivan Kabaivanov <chepati@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Thursday 28 February 2008, BRM wrote:
4 >>> Thanks. Quick additional Q though -
5 >>> where's the best place to store the initrd? USB? Floppy? CD?
6 >> the most logical place -- /boot, right next to the kernel image.
7 >
8 > Obviously - but on what storage medium?
9 >
10 > If the kernel can't access the hard drive connected to the QLA2xxx
11 > controller, then I can't mount /boot if it is on the hard drive. Sure,
12 > the OpenBoot PROM might be able to load SILO from the hard drive, but
13 > then can SILO load the kernel from the hard drive (probably)? So, it
14 > comes back to my question - can the system boot from a USB device?
15 >
16 > Otherwise, I have to either do a network boot (not sure how initrd
17 > retrieval works there; but I don't really have the resources to do that
18 > any way), or use the floppy or CD; or go to OpenSolaris.
19
20 Are you being purposely dense? It's already been stated (probably more than
21 once) that SILO is capable of loading the kernel *and* initramfs from the disk
22 via OBP. You don't need to stick the initramfs on any other medium.
23
24 As for booting from USB, I'm not sure. I don't have any systems with USB, so I
25 can't test it myself. However, my guess would be no.
28 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
29 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
30 --
31 gentoo-sparc@l.g.o mailing list