From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] GWN "Want ad" for sparc architecture testers
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:49:05
On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 08:16 +0100, Alex Buell wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:49:10 +0000, I waved a wand and this message > magically appears in front of Ferris McCormick: > > > > As for there being a lack of a Java VM on sparc, if anyone's > > > working on porting Sun's JVM, I can help with testing the builds. > > > > Supposedly, this is very hard to hopeless (according to sun). There > > are more promising alternatives, such as jamvm or perhaps cacao. I > > have played a bit with jamvm, and I think it could be made to work. > > It's mostly a matter of figuring out what order the arguments to a > > couple macros which are used for test-and-swap are given, and making > > a few memcopy macros work right. I've had it running; just not quite > > correctly. > > I thknk gcj could do the job just as well. It can compile to bytecode. >
jamvm is a java machine, not a compiler.
> > jamvm (or something like it) would make a very nice project. Sun java > > would probably not (I think sun have it on their to-do list, but > > considered long-term and difficult). > > I think it's enormously vital that Sun get off their butts and do > something about it - porting the linuxintel version to linuxsparc > should work. I've actually dug around in the jvm sources and they do > have some assembly in various places. These would have to be rewritten > for the sparc platform. >
Interesting. Do you think it would be easier to port from linux intel than from solaris/sparc? That might make a lot of sense. (Depending on how much assembly code there is, and whether anyone can read it. How much is needed outside, perhaps, the atomic operations like atomic_add or test_and_set?)
Thanks and regards, -- Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)