From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Gentoo Sparc <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] [Fwd: 2.6.17 + sym53c876 causes many i/o errors]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:12:54
1 For your information if you haven't seen it. I can't comment on the
2 problem described here; I'm only passing it on as a possible warning.
3
4 Regards,
5 Ferris
6
7 -------- Forwarded Message --------
8 From: Will Simoneau <simoneau@×××××××.edu>
9 To: sparclinux@×××××××××××.org
10 Subject: 2.6.17 + sym53c876 causes many i/o errors
11 Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:56:56 -0400
12
13 I just tried out 2.6.17 on my U80 (4x450, 2560MB), which boots off the
14 onboard SCSI card (Symbios 53c876) from a sw raid1 of 2 disks. The disks
15 are original Sun UW-SCSI Seagate 18G 10k disks, internal cabling is all
16 original. Filesystem is ext3 with dir_index on. Distro is Gentoo,
17 running ~sparc.
18
19 Result: many I/O errors, leading to some filesystem corruption! I was
20 lucky to notice and quickly go back to 2.6.15 and run a full fsck, which
21 found some problems. One of the disks was marked failed by the raid1
22 driver, since it was returning lots of errors... it looks like the raid1
23 driver didn't give up as easily on the last disk, allowing the machine
24 to still function.
25
26 The old kernel is 2.6.15-gentoo-r7 installed via portage. Toolchain and
27 utility versions from ver_linux:
28
29 Gnu C 3.4.6
30 Gnu make 3.81
31 binutils 2.16.1
32 util-linux 2.12r
33 mount 2.12r
34 module-init-tools 3.2.2
35 e2fsprogs 1.38
36 reiserfsprogs 3.6.19
37 xfsprogs 2.7.11
38 quota-tools 3.13.
39 PPP 2.4.3
40 Linux C Library so.6 .> libc
41 Dynamic linker (ldd) 2.3.6
42 Procps 3.2.6
43 Net-tools 1.60
44 Kbd 1.12
45 Sh-utils 5.96
48 This is obviously a really dangerous bug, whatever it is, as it will
49 easily cause corruption on the root filesystem before booting is finished. Both SCSI channels on the dual channel card return errors easily. This wasn't a
50 problem on 2.6.15.
51
52 Full kernel log from 2.6.17 boot to shutdown, and .config are attached.
53 This kernel is gentoo-sources-2.6.17 from portage, let me know if you
54 need a list of patches that are included.
55
56 BTW, I can't fiddle much with this machine besides testing a couple
57 patches. Doing a bisect to find the bad patch is out of the question.
58
59 What gives?
60 --
61 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
62 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)