From: Jim Faulkner <jfaulkne@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] install-sparc64-minimal-20110829 init stops when setting system clock
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 01:31:43
1 I'm trying to get my Sun Blade 100 going w/ install-sparc64-minimal-20110829.iso
2 but the init system gets stuck at "Setting the system clock using the
3 hardware clock [UTC]".
4
5 That's not to say the system locks up: I can type characters and they
6 show up on the screen, but init doesn't let me proceed past the setting
7 system clock script. The machine is definitely still working. I've
8 waited 10 or 15 minutes but init won't give up on the "Setting the
9 system clock" script.
10
11 Actually I can ctrl-c out of it the first time init tries to start the
12 script, before runlevel 3. But as soon as it enters runlevel 3 it tries
13 to start the system clock script again and I'm unable to ctrl-c out of
14 it.
15
16 I see in my kernel messages before modules are loaded that the kernel
17 successfully sets the system clock from the hardware clock: apparently
18 install-sparc64-minimal-20110829.iso's kernel has CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS
19 set. On my x86 systems /etc/conf.d/hwclock tells me "You do not need
20 this if you are running a modern kernel with CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS set to
21 y." Should setting the system clock from the hardware clock be enabled
22 on the installcd at all?