From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Cc: spyderous@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] [gentoo-dev] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 needs testers (fwd)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:36:09
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 For what it's worth to anyone, I'll add a couple sparc-specific
5 observations to Donnie's announcement.
6 1. With 6.8.0-r2/r4, it is possible to build and use a true
7 hardened xorg-x11 on sparc using the dlloader. Making this
8 work requires an unofficial patch from xorg to let sunffb
9 load its cfb (context frame buffer) modules, however. It
10 also requires a tiny change to the ebuild to fix a configuration
11 problem that shows up in one of the Mesa Imakefiles.
12 2. That said, otherwise the change to the -r{even number} candidates
13 seems very smooth. Even with the move from /usr/X11R6/lib -->
14 /usr/lib.
15
16 In a day or so, I'll make a modified ebuild and the required xorg patch
17 available for anyone who wants to play with hardened xorg or with
18 xorg+dlloader. (The patch is to help with dlloader; hardening works
19 fine once dlloader is straightened out.)
20
21 Testing early can only work to your advantage if you are willing to
22 take the risk. The number of reasonable, different USE flags combinations
23 is quite large, and if some particular combination appeals to you,
24 it's probably better to catch any hidden problems with it before the
25 release goes stable.
26
27 - --
28 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
29 Developer, Gentoo Linux (sparc)
30
31 - ---------- Forwarded message ----------
32 Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:01:06 -0800
33 From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
34 To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
35 Subject: [gentoo-dev] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 needs testers
36
37 In -r4 (previously -r2), we've moved /usr/X11R6/lib to /usr/lib and
38 created a symlink. This obviously results in some significant changes.
39
40 6.8.0-r4 is hard-masked. It will take a little work to emerge. If you
41 can't figure out how to test it, I'd prefer that you don't test it for
42 now.
43
44 It adds some new USE flags that most of you will want to enable,
45 including: font-server, opengl, truetype-fonts, type1-fonts and xv. They
46 are all described in /usr/portage/profiles/use.* so I won't describe
47 them again. I will be adding most of these flags to the defaults in
48 profiles, with the possible exception of font-server.
49
50 Another USE flag that I'm pleased with is "minimal." It disables
51 building all of the sample clients, all of the fonts and many of the
52 drivers. A test install using this was 28MB, compared to 100MB-150MB for
53 a full-featured install.
54
55 The final new flag is uclibc, for people using a uclibc-based Gentoo
56 installation.
57
58 There are also a number of miscellaneous fixes, including bugs:
59 38549: Newport acceleration (MIPS machines)
60 70431: Fix Xnest segfaults
61 64929, 59746, 60131: Fix totem, kaffeine, gxine lockups
62 63767: Support Cherry CyMotion Master XPress and IBM Space Saver
63 keyboards
64 67845: Fix dual-monitor Radeon setups
65 68414: Build the Lucida 75dpi and 100dpi fonts
66 68726: Add xbox nvidia driver
67 fd.o 1501: Prevent libGL segfault when /dev/dri/card* are unreadable
68 64618: Fix unresolved symbol problems when using hardened and the
69 dlloader
70
71 Please file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org for each problem you encounter.
72
73 I'm unaware of any problems with the migration -r4 at present. However,
74 downgrading without uninstalling -r4 will result in any other versions
75 being installed to the symlinked /usr/X11R6/lib also. If anyone has a
76 good solution to this, please file a bug.
77
78 Thanks,
79 Donnie
82 - --