From: harald <ba0547@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Java Support on Sparc plattform.
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 21:05:12
Hello Andrew,

thank´s for your very quick answer.
i don´t know exactly what exactly gentoo foundation and its developers
do. there are a several java sources available for sparc plattform. sun
has binaries for solaris. is it possible to install/transform these
binaries for gentoo? there are a lot of sources available from sun.
would it be possible to install/compile these sources on my machine?
would it be possible for gentoo to generate emerge packages with these
I knew about blackdown java for sparc, these are unstable and do not
support all official sun java features.

harald Grosskopf.
Am Dienstag, den 02.01.2007, 14:32 -0600 schrieb Andrew Gaffney:
> harald wrote: > > Hello, > > > > recently downloaded and installed Gentoo on my Sparc Sun machine. > > Unfortunately i did not find any package containing java for this > > architecture. is it possible to install any other java (source) package > > instead? is java support planned by gentoo foundation for these types of > > machines? > > The foundation has very little to do with development. > > > please let me know, java support is very important for me. > > Last I heard, the last version of java that worked on sparc was blackdown 1.4.2 > (or something like that), but it had a security bug. If java on sparc is really > important to you, then you probably need to run Solaris. Alternatively, you can > convince the blackdown guys (or one of the other JRE/JDK providers) to do > another sparc release. > > -- > Andrew Gaffney > Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project > Today's lesson in political correctness: "Go asphyxiate on a phallus"
-- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-sparc] Java Support on Sparc plattform. Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>