From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] a question regarding using promise PDC 20262 ide card on Ultra 5 as boot device
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:21:10

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Ferris McCormick wrote: > >> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Zhang Weiwu wrote: >> >> 2. It will show the disks and ask you to select the one you want. >> Select the external drive (They are labeled a, b, c, etc. You should >> see a & b; pick the one corresponding to your external drive. If it's >> not obvious from the disk name, by using brute force you can do this >> twice, once with the external drive on and once not.) >> 3. boot ^Y (Ctrl-Y), or 'devalias gentoo ^Y' and then 'boot gentoo' >> > Err. None of a, b, c could boot. I feel a bit wired, a) is cdrom, b) is > ide@3/disk but the hdd on IDE card should be ide5 (count from 1) or ide4 > (count from 0)
What's c? ide@3/disk looks exactly right for the internal drive. (I suppose c is the floppy?) And, instead of 'show-disks' you can use 'show-devs' and see everything. Then you will see what's on your external card if the system can see it. (It should be another ide@?/disk, I would think.)
Perhaps a solution is for you during the install to put the /boot partition onto the internal drive and install the boot loader there. (This should work fine unless you need to preserve it.) Then put / onto the external drive, and follow the installation guide for setting up the configuration. I have to admit that when I did this with a U10, my external drive was a SCSI drive so it was attached to a scsi card. I don't know how disks get numbered when you have both the internal IDE disk and an external IDE disk on a different controller...