From: Pilage <pilage@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Booting Sun ultra sparc 60 with "own" kernel.
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 21:34:30
1. make sure the KB settings are set with "US" not sun key map if using
2. you will have to make sure you build the proper drivers into the kernel
to get the network device to work.
the livecd does hardware detection then loads those drivers, I am not an
expert but just copying the kernel from the livecd won't give you that
if you can get the kernel from the livecd to boot, then you have a working
system, so to speak, to work from. compare the options selected in your
kernel vs. the livecd...of course now i am wondering if you didnt do the
makemenuconfig on the livecd kernel you won't be able to see those options.
bottom line is the system works it is now down to playing with the configs.

hope that helps

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:15:22 -0600, harald <ba0547@×××××××××××.de> wrote:

> Hello, > > try to boot my sun ultra sparc 60 machine with my self compiled version > of kernel 2.6.17. found several instructions in gentoo documentation. > mean that i have all done as described. linux boots from > device /dev/sda3 (which has not sun type 5) using silo boot manager. Don > ´t know if the wrong partition type is the problem. solaris won´t boot > without this partition type. copied kernel from install cd to my boot > partition /dev/sda3/ /boot directory and system starts but network > device don´t work and keyboard seems to have wrong layout. when i try to > start my own kernel system seems to hang after a vew minutes. no error > messages or warnings. only power off helps, key "stop-a" has no effect. > > harald. > >
-- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-sparc] Booting Sun ultra sparc 60 with "own" kernel. harald <ba0547@×××××××××××.de>