From: "Longman
To: "'gentoo-sparc@l.g.o'" <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-sparc] Re: 2.6 kernel
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 01:18:20
1 > > That doesn't mean you can't play with it, though. Just pull it down
2 > > and compile it. It's rather frustrating, but it's good
3 > practice, no?
4 > > Who doesn't like compiling kernels on a 166MHz SPARC?
5 > >
6 > > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge -f --oneshot gentoo-sources
7 > >
8 > > should get you the latest 2.6.15-r5. Tweak command line as
9 > needed for
10 > > other versions.
11 >
12 > Please don't use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, it's generally bad, you've
13 > got package.keywords (man 5 portage) as a better solution.
14 > That said 2.6 kernels don't work fine in the stability
15 > department, lately it seems only SBUS-based machines are the
16 > ones affected.
17 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/sparc/sunhw.xml is a work
18 > in progress hardware compatibility list where you can check
19 > how things are going on the 2.6 front.
20 > Of course it's still incomplete and feedback is welcome.
21 > Don't say "excellent stability on X" unless you really did
22 > extensive tests.
23
24 If you want Portage to actually manage a package, yes, I agree completely,
25 you should NOT use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.
26
27 If you just want to use portage to grab the files for you (-f --oneshot),
28 then, heck, just throw in ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. You'll still have to manually
29 move things around and compile them, so where is the problem?
30
31 If he *did* put "~sparc" in his package.keywords file for gentoo-sources,
32 then he would be, in effect, telling portage that he specifically wants to
33 be able to use the ~ versions and he accepts the responsibility thereof. And
34 Portage will then dutifully keep him updated on all new updates to this
35 package.
36
37 How else would you "beta test" a package? I've been using this method for
38 about two years and I have found it to work well for me. If I really want to
39 use the package later on, I put it in the correct package.* file and make it
40 "official".
41
42 On a second point, thanks for the above HCL pointer. I'll add notes on my
43 U30 this weekend.
44
45 Bill
46 --