From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] what ultrasparc compare likely such Pentium box on desktop performance
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:11:14
1 Zhang Weiwu wrote:
2 > Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >
4 >> Zhang Weiwu wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hello. After I get an old U5 box, I decide to replace my desktop
7 >>> computer with another UltraSparc. My desktop computer is Pentium 1G /
8 >>> 256MB memory / ATA100 IDE box.
9 >>>
10 >>> What UltraSparc (with how many of what CPU) has similiar average
11 >>> desktop performance as my Pentium box? I usually only browsing
12 >>> around, use openoffice and gimp a little, vim as editor and doesn't
13 >>> use huge IDE like eclipse. What's your suggestion?
14 >>
15 >> This is just a guess, but an Ultra 2 with dual 300s or 400s is
16 >> probably going to be pretty close in performance.
17 >>
18 > A small test showed very disapointing result. (This is not a desktop
19 > performace test, only I play with it)
20 >
21 > I tried to compare my Ultra 5 ( 333MHz single CPU / ATA66 IDE / 256 MB )
22 > with Celeron 600 MHz box ( ATA 66, 256MB memory). My test is to
23 > calculate the complecity of Linux kernel code.
24 > (command line: # sloccount /usr/src/linux-sparc-2.4.27/ )
25 >
26 > On U5 it takes325 seconds, on Celeron it takes 257 seconds. They both
27 > take almost same amount of kernel time, but U5 takes 210 seconds user
28 > time, while Celeron only takes 76 seconds.
29 >
30 > To perform this task, Celeron used 79% of total time compare to U5. So I
31 > think perhaps U5 does not perform better than Celeron 500MHz. This way,
32 > I can hardly expect dual 300MHz would overperform Pentium 1G, especially
33 > dual CPU (IMHO) does not help much with desktop thanks to that only a
34 > few desktop applications use more than one process...
35 >
36 > Perhaps I am wrong in this small test?
37
38 Yes, a U2 is *not* a U5. The U5 and U10 were probably the crappiest Ultra
39 machines that Sun put out. Also, the test was a little one-sided since the
40 Celeron had almost twice the speed and an IDE chipset with working DMA :) A
41 2x300 U2 would "mop the floor" with the Celeron in that test.
44 Andrew Gaffney
45 Gentoo Linux Developer
46 Installer Project
49 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list