From: gentuxx <gentuxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] >=sys-devel/gcc-3.4 on Sparc U5 SeLinux
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 19:25:05

I'm in the process of migrating my U5 system to an SELinux profile.
Thanks to Gustavo Zacarias and his excellent kernel work, I've managed
to get through the most of the migration guide (after an ugly battle
trying to get a functional hardened-sources kernel).  Now I'm sort of
at a "time to jump off the cliff" point.  I'm booted in the new
environment, with the hardened kernel, selinux profile, selinux policy
tools, and selinux base policy.  I'm about to run an `emerge -DuatvN
world' to pull in all of the remaining selinux-policy packages, and
recompile installed packages that need it with the new USE flags.
But, alas, if it were only that easy.

Emerge fails right away stating "All ebuilds that could satisfy
">=sys-devel/gcc-3.4" have been masked.".  All of the versions are
masked by profile (and missing keyword).  So my question is three-fold:

1)  If I put '<=sys-devel/gcc-4.2.0 ~sparc' in the
/etc/portage/package.keywords file, will that satisfy the masking and
allow me to install gcc-4.1.1-r1- even if it's masked by my profile?

2)  I am currently running the selinux/2005.1/sparc64 profile.  Is
there a newer one that would satisfy the above maskings?  If so, what
do I need to emerge to get it on my system?  Portage?  I'm already
running portage-2.1-r1.

3)  Finally, what are your experiences with running a newer (>=4.0)
version of gcc on sparc?  I want this system to be rock solid, so I'm
a little apprehensive about unmasking and running the
newest-greatest-fastest gcc, being such a fundamental part of a gentoo

- --
echo "hfouvyyAhnbjm/dpn" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'

gentux's gpg fingerprint ==> 5495 0388 67FF 0B89 1239  D840 4CF0 39E2
18D3 4A9E
Version: GnuPG v1.4.4 (GNU/Linux)