From: Andrew Ruef <munin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-sparc] 2.6 kernel development
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 01:25:46
1 What problems do you face running 2.6 using Gentoo sources? For the longest
2 time I was using 2.6.11-hardened-r15 before switching to a custom version of
3 2.6.13, I had no issues...
4
5 Andrew Ruef
6
7 -----Original Message-----
8 From: Jason Williams [mailto:jason.b.williams@×××××.com]
9 Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 8:14 PM
10 To: Gentoo Sparc
11 Subject: [gentoo-sparc] 2.6 kernel development
12
13 It seems to me that there's a problem in cooperation between
14 distributions that port the linux kernel to sparc. The reason I say
15 this is, I run a very stable web/mail server on a sparc at work that
16 is running debian with a 2.6.8 kernel. However, in gentoo I've not
17 been able to get a 2.6 kernel that's currently in portage running,
18 much less stable.
19
20 The dilemma here is that I much prefer gentoo sparc in every other
21 respect than the kernel (well maybe speed of getting a running system,
22 but that I understand and am willing to deal with - that's gentoo in
23 general;-). Why is it that their 2.6 kernel is so great while gentoo's
24 is so unstable?
25
26 Anyways, that said, I have a question. Since the debian sparc 2.6
27 kernel seems so stable is there any reason why I can't just take their
28 source tree and compile it in gentoo? It seems to me that this would
29 be the best solution to my dilemma. It'd essentially just be a way of
30 taking advantage of their one advantage over gentoo sparc.
31
32 jbw
35 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list
40 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list