From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] QLA2xxx
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:32:03
--- Ivan Kabaivanov <chepati@×××××.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2008, BRM wrote: > > Thanks. Quick additional Q though - > > where's the best place to store the initrd? USB? Floppy? CD? > the most logical place -- /boot, right next to the kernel image.
Obviously - but on what storage medium? If the kernel can't access the hard drive connected to the QLA2xxx controller, then I can't mount /boot if it is on the hard drive. Sure, the OpenBoot PROM might be able to load SILO from the hard drive, but then can SILO load the kernel from the hard drive (probably)? So, it comes back to my question - can the system boot from a USB device? Otherwise, I have to either do a network boot (not sure how initrd retrieval works there; but I don't really have the resources to do that any way), or use the floppy or CD; or go to OpenSolaris. TIA, Ben -- gentoo-sparc@l.g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-sparc] QLA2xxx Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>