From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
Cc: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] [SOLVED in a nasty way] Re: [gentoo-sparc] a question regarding using promise PDC 20262 ide card on Ultra 5 as boot device
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:06:34
The original question:
I raise is because I brought an old U5 box, and noticed the box use a
standard IDE slot, so the only HDD I installed (ATA66) could not perform
maximum. Thus, I installed another Promise PDC 20262 IDE expension (or
extending, I am not sure of the English) card and moved the HDD to that
card.

The problem is, as later pointed out by Keith M Wesolowski, U5 OBP could
not boot from external IDE device. This way I need to find a way to boot
up the box. Ferris McCormick helped me a lot in finding where is the
problem with his professional skill.

The final way to solve the problem: I installed a small HDD onto the IDE
slot on the mother board, installed SILO on it, let it boot up the OS
installed on the external IDE slot.

I tried to boot from floppy and failed. Here is how I failed in every
attempt: