From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-trustees] Gentoo Foundation Charter
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:54:28
1 Hi
2
3 I've started again on writing the Gentoo Foundation Charter. As said before,
4 it is not meant to be a by-law or anything but rather a human-understandable
5 document explaining why the Gentoo Foundation exists, the principles it will
6 keep in mind, the tasks and a bit about the board of trustees.
7
8 Until now I've drafted the first two chapters ("Introduction" and
9 "Principles of the Gentoo Foundation"). The next two chapters still need
10 decisions on our part:
11
12 - How will we protect our assets? What measures can (and will) we take?
13 - How will the financial contributions/revenues be divided?
14 - How will we advise Gentoo's development when it's drifting away from the
15 social contract (not that I think this will ever happen)
16 - Will we be a Point of Contact for corporations/organisations?
17 - What is the definition of a Gentoo Developer?
18 - What elections (how, when, where, ...) will be held?
19 - What are the responsibilities (after having decided all the previous
20 things)?
21
22 You can find the current document on
23 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/charter.html; if you want I can put it in CVS
24 somewhere.
25
26 There are many questions to be resolved so apart from the paperwork
27 bureaucracy we will also need some discussions pertaining to the above.
28
29 One question that has been sitting in my INBOX for quite some time now: how
30 do we permit the use of the Gentoo logo outside Gentoo's development? For
31 instance, people are asking to use our logo in screenshots for inclusion on
32 theme websites or for use on their website (as "support" and to say they're
33 proud of being a Gentoo user). Companies are asking permission to have our
34 logo on their products, etc.
35
36 Perhaps I should start a separate thread for that one :)
37
38 Wkr,
39 Sven Vermeulen
42 Bent Hindrup Andersen, Danish MEP, about the Software Patent Directive:
43 The approach of the Commission and Council in this directive is shocking.
44 They are making full use of all the possibilities of evading democracy that
45 the current Community Law provides. <http://lwn.net/Articles/84009/>