From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-trustees] Advertisement requests
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 11:41:58
1 Hi all
2
3 As you have noticed, Gentoo frequently (almost on a weekly basis iirc)
4 receives requests for advertisement space on the Gentoo website. Until now,
5 all such requests to www@g.o have been answered like so:
6
7 We are currently not looking for additional revenues through
8 advertisements.
9 The advertisements you find on our webpage are donated to the respective
10 companies as a thank you or trade for their continuous support to the
11 Gentoo project (hardware donations, bandwidth, ...).
12
13 Some requests however propose a continuous support to the Gentoo project.
14
15 My personal opinion has always been to decrease the advertisements on the
16 Gentoo website itself and make the Sponsors [1] page more accurate with the
17 current sponsoring (the page is currently a bit outdated).
18
19 To facilitate the maintenance of the Sponsors page I have started
20 documenting the current sponsoring (who sponsors what). Based on this
21 (hopefully to become) complete information I would draft a guideline what we
22 see as a Sponsor.
23
24 Others would be then called "Contributors". Currently contributors are not
25 shown on the Gentoo website since many contributions happen through PayPal
26 donations. Would it be feasible to have all PayPal contributions (and
27 others) listed automatically somewhere (like in KDE's donations page [2])?
28
29 If so, we might want to put up such a "Contributions" page on which not only
30 PayPal contributions but also other, non-Sponsoring contributions are
31 listed.
32
33 In short, my questions are:
34 - Do we find it feasible to have a contributions page?
35 - Should be decrease (or even nullify) the advertisements on the Gentoo
36 website (and therefore denying all advertisement requests)?
37
38 Wkr,
39 Sven Vermeulen
40
41 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/sponsors.xml
42 [2] http://www.kde.org/support/donations.php
45 Documentation project leader - Gentoo Foundation Trustee
46
47 The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>