From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-trustees] October 8th Meeting attendance
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:43:51
1 The law firm is [Redacted] ([Redacted]) They are
2 actually pretty good - I think the problem is that it is very time-consuming
3 (and thus expensive) to give a lawyer (even a technically savvy one) an
4 in-depth, meaningful understanding of how the Gentoo project works,
5 including all the subtle details they need to know. Think of all the courses
6 of action a developer may want to pursue with their works, and the
7 possibilities can become overwhelming. (Including posting their code on
8 non-Gentoo web space, personal gentoo.org Web space, submitting to bugzilla,
9 posting to mailing list, pasting or dcc'ing on irc, committing to portage
10 tree, submitting a patch to a gentoo or 3rd-party work, etc. etc.)
11
12 That's why I'd recommend that *you guys* (the trustees) actually write the
13 legal documentation, and simply use your new legal counsel to ensure that
14 what you have written is legal and sufficiently comprehensive. Working the
15 other way (explaining to a lawyer how the Gentoo project works, then asking
16 them to write an appropriate legal document) is not very effective, and I'd
17 expect this to be the case even if Lawrence Lessig himself were writing the
18 document. The lawyer will not have sufficient understanding of the
19 particular needs of Gentoo. The trustees have the experience necessary to
20 write a comprehensive document. Someone unfamiliar with the Gentoo project
21 does not.
22
23 You know what the document is supposed to do - and if in some areas you do
24 not, it is ultimately you who must decide what it is supposed to do anyway,
25 not the lawyer's. The lawyer's job should be to make sure that the document
26 holds legal water.
27
28 Anyway, that's my 2 cents :)
29
30 Regards,
31
32 Daniel
33
34 -----Original Message-----
35 From: Paul de Vrieze [mailto:pauldv@g.o]
36 Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 3:17 PM
37 To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
38 Subject: Re: [gentoo-trustees] October 8th Meeting attendance
39