From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-trustees] New bank account
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 00:34:50
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > I've met with bankers at the Bank of America twice now, and I think they
3 > can fulfill our needs.
4
5 And a third time ... this one with Jeff, one of the VP's and a corporate
6 banker.
7
8 > What we need to open an account:
9 >
10 > 1) Person authorized to act on behalf of the foundation as indicated in
11 > its corporate resolution;
12
13 This is a form we can just fill out at the bank.
14
15 > 2) The foundation's tax ID number;
16
17 We have this, but I'm not sure who has it -- Grant, Corey? Either Corey
18 or I will need to get it to open the account, and preferably both of us.
19
20 > 3) The foundation's Fictitious Name Certificate, or the Certificate of
21 > Trade Name if the account name is different from the corporate title;
22
23 This is a form I just picked up at the bank today, which is called an
24 Assumed Business Name in Oregon. It basically says we're allowed to do
25 business as the Gentoo Foundation and not as individual names of people.
26 We need to fill it out and can fax it into the State of Oregon, then
27 give the registry number we receive to the banker.
28
29 The application costs $50, with another $5 for a confirmation copy that
30 I think we should get. We can pay this with Visa/MasterCard, if we have
31 one, or a check payable to "Corporation Division, State of Oregon."
32
33 We will need to pick a single authorized representative, and up to four
34 registrants/owners who will conduct business under the assumed name. I
35 suggest the treasurer as the authorized rep, and the officers as
36 registrants/owners.
37
38 The form requires addresses and signatures for all of them; they will
39 need access to scanners, so we can email the form, print, sign, re-scan
40 and email to the next officer. (Unless someone has a better idea?)
41
42 > 4) The articles of incorporation;
43
44 I can just print this out from our Web site.
45
46 > 5) The IRS ruling letter of tax exemption, or a notarized statement from
47 > the officers or directors on Gentoo letterhead, saying the foundation is
48 > exempt from tax reporting under 501(c).
49
50 This is the biggest change. We can open the account now but wait until
51 we receive the IRS letter to bring it in. We don't need the notarized
52 statement.
53
54 Thanks,
55 Donnie