From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Cc: pvdabeel@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-trustees] selling ppc machines from the store
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:01:16
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 Pieter (pvdabeel) has contacted me and is interested in having the store
4 sell Genesi PPC workstations with Gentoo pre-installed. The hardware
5 manufacturer is apparently very interested in pursuing this, and allowing
6 the store to make some profit on the sale of these workstations. My initial
7 impression of this opportunity is positive, it would certainly be "neat" to
8 sell these PPC workstations through the store, as they are quite interesting
9 boxes with tons of geek appeal.
10
11 I have yet to talk to the head of Genesi about this, because I want to get
12 feedback from the trustees first. I see 2 things to consider here:
13
14 1) Are there any legitimate reasons why the store should not sell PPC
15 workstations, *not* as a matter of practicality (that's my domain) but as a
16 matter of principle?
17
18 2) The practical issues. Is this practically feasible? Is it worth the
19 time/effort/potential expense to sell PPC workstations through the store?
20 How will the logistics work, who will ship, will any stock be required, who
21 will handle warranty issues, etc?
22
23 As head of the store, I'll need to make my own determination on whether this
24 will be worth the effort and whether all the practical details can be worked
25 out. But before I start any serious discussions about these practicalities,
26 I need feedback from trustees on whether there are any issues with selling
27 Genesi ppc workstations with Gentoo pre-installed.
28
29 Trustees, please let me know your view on this, and if it is positive, I can
30 look into the practical challenges to see if we can sell Genesi workstations
31 through the Gentoo store.
32
33 Cc'ing pvdabeel on this email.
34