From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-trustees] Legal advice
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:01:10
1 Kurt Lieber wrote: [Thu Jul 15 2004, 08:22:19AM EDT]
2 > I agree with Nick here. I'd like to see us achieve c3 status if we are
3 > legally able to do so. Obtaining guidance and counsel on this would be
4 > very valuable.
5
6 Just for the record, I don't agree yet with pursuing c3 status. I
7 would prefer c6 status since that seems to be a better representation
8 of what we are as an organization. It seems like quite a stretch to
9 call c3 a charitable organization, even if other groups are getting
10 away with blurring the lines. I don't personally think that tax
11 deductibility will cause the money to start rolling in, and if that
12 isn't the point, then why not stick with c6?
13
14 Even if c3 would result in more donations, my humble opinion is that
15 we've done pretty well developing Gentoo on short funds. We've had a
16 few donations of money and equipment that have helped us to develop
17 the meager but workable infrastructure that we have. (Kudos to the
18 infra team for keeping things working!)
19
20 Regards,
21 Aron
24 Aron Griffis