From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-trustees] copyright assignment doc
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:11:15
1 I've mentioned this before but didn't receive much response, so I'll
2 mention it again.
3
4 Our copyright assignment doc needs to change. Specific problems with it:
5
6 * It claims ownership of developer hard drives "...or computer media
7 relating to the Work.")
8 * It says "Gentoo Technologies" instead of "Gentoo Foundation"
9 * It is completely unenforceable for any user (non-dev) that submits
10 something to bugzilla and/or submissions@g.o. (we're not
11 requiring them to sign this doc, so it's not enforceable)
12 * Because we allow the storage things like kernel patches, etc. for which
13 we do not own the copyright, in CVS (in the files/ directories), it shows
14 that we're selectively enforcing the copyright assignment. In the past,
15 this has often resulted in the entire document being tossed in court.
16 * It is questionable whether or not we have any legal right to enforce
17 copyright claims for non-US devs. They're not US citizens, so it's not
18 clear if they're subject to US copyright restrictions/assignments.
19 * We selectively enforce who must sign it.
20 * [minor] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/copyright/index.xml needs to
21 be updated to remove Daniel from the text.
22
23 There are a number of ways to solve this. One set of suggestions:
24
25 * Eliminate the "...or computer media" clause.
26 * s/Gentoo Technologies/Gentoo Foundation/g
27 * Not sure, but it's something we need to resolve.
28 * Some how find a way to allow storage of files/ files in CVS for which we
29 cannot legally claim copyright on. I'm open to suggestions on how to
30 best do this.
31 * Seek legal counsel on the merit of this document wrt non-US-based devs.
32 * Either have *everyone* sign it or *no one* sign it.
33 * [minor] fix the copyright FAQ page.
34
35 Until we change this doc, I would like to stop having new devs sign it. It
36 is causing a number of problems, confusion and general unhappiness on
37 #gentoo-dev. I don't think it provides a net benefit to Gentoo as it reads
38 now, (for the reasons outlined above) so I don't see the reason for
39 requiring it.
40
41 Thoughts, opinions, flames, etc.
42