From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-trustees] Re: Request for funds
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:24:51
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 07:26:35AM -0400 or thereabouts, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
3 >
4 >>>My fear is that the moment we start to help a dev in need, there will be devs
5 >>>in need all over. What, then, becomes the criteria for selecting Dev A but
6 >>>rejecting Dev B? If that becomes sketchy then the complaint could be made
7 >>>(to the IRS) that the Gentoo Foundation is no longer operating in the public
8 >>>interest.
9 >>
10 >>I was not referring to power bills and such. I was actually thinking of
11 >>burnt harddrives, cpus, memory sticks etc. Such things can be purchased
12 >>and sent (and thus moneys tracked). In other words, my statement was
13 >>about things rather than cash. Having said that, it is entirely
14 >>possible that it would be a slippery slope with a lot of devs suddenly
15 >>in need, but I tend to think people are basically good and that that
16 >>won't happen.
19 > In general, I don't support the notion of buying things for individuals,
20 > for many of the reasons Corey already articulated, but also because I don't
21 > think that such targeted purchases are really the best way to disburse our
22 > funds.
23 >
24 > I want to see the Foundation sending developers to conferences where they
25 > can answer user questions, get a better feel for what our community really
26 > wants, etc. Broad-reaching type stuff. I agree that providing a stick of
27 > RAM to a developer has tangible benefit to Gentoo, but I'd rather see that
28 > handled via other means. (private donations, etc.)
29
30 (Sorry for my late response)
31
32 I'd have to agree with Kurt here as well. I would rather see things that
33 are more broad reaching in helping Gentoo than offering things
34 individually.
35
36 Maybe we should get an ad in the NYTimes like mozilla did ;-) (j/k).
39 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
40 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
41
42 ---
43 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
44 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
45
46 ramereth/irc.freenode.net