From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-trustees] [Fwd: Re: Gentoo Foundation copyright assignment document]
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 16:20:52
1 -----Forwarded Message-----
2 From: Kevin Howard <khoward@×××××××.com>
3 To: zhen@g.o
4 Subject: Re: Gentoo Foundation copyright assignment document
5 Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:02:04 -0700
6
7 John,
8
9 I apologize for the delay in sending you this. My contact at the EFF
10 said there had been several other responses to your initial request, so
11 hopefully you have been able to follow up to one of those. Let me know
12 if you have not had further contact from the EFF and I'll contact them
13 again.
14
15 I've taken some time to review your initial email, the copyright
16 assignment document and the gentoo.org web site, along with some other
17 web resources such as the text of the GNU GPL
18 (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php) and Debian's Social
19 Contract (http://www.debian.org/social_contract).
20
21 As I mentioned in my previous email, I am licensed as an attorney only
22 in the State of California, and therefore cannot give legal advice
23 concerning the specifics of the construction of Gentoo Foundation's
24 copyright assignment contract. Specifically in light of the concern
25 outlined by the Trustees about "the entire document being tossed in
26 court" it would be best if an attorney licensed in New Mexico reviewed
27 the assignment document for consistency with New Mexico law.
28
29 What I can do is give you some general thoughts about the concerns of
30 the trustees. Questions about how specific to be, the enforceability of
31 the assignment, and international contract issues should be able to be
32 dealt with by the Trustees working together with the help of a New
33 Mexico-licensed attorney familiar with entity formation. These are all
34 preferences the Trustees should be able to hammer out into specific
35 terms for the assignment document.
36
37 I don't know how non-profit organizations are registered in New Mexico,
38 but I did find that "Gentoo Technologies, Inc." is still a valid,
39 registered corporation name in New Mexico and that the whois results for
40 the gentoo.org domain name shows that Gentoo Technologies, Inc. is the
41 registrant. Whichever name the Trustees choose to use for the
42 organization, make sure to be consistent across all documents, contracts
43 and other identifying material, including the web.
44
45 One thing the organization may want to consider doing is something like
46 what Debian does with what it calls "non-free" works. They include a
47 "non-free" area in their archive for works whose authors want to
48 maintain the copyright or patent on and do not make such "non-free"
49 works a part of the Debian system. See item 5 here:
50 http://www.debian.org/social_contract
51
52 In the same vein, Debian also reserves the right to restrict files from
53 being included in their archives at all if such inclusion would cause
54 licensing or distribution problems. See:
55 http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-pkgcopyright
56
57 I hope this helps, and good luck with the Gentoo Linux project.
60 -Kevin Howard
64 John Davis wrote:
65
66 > Kevin -
67 > Thank you again for your time. First, here are the points of contention
68 > as raised by the Gentoo trustees:
69 >
70 > * It claims ownership of developer hard drives "...or computer media
71 > relating to the Work.")
72 >
73 > * It says "Gentoo Technologies" instead of "Gentoo Foundation"
74 >
75 > * It is completely unenforceable for any user (non-dev) that submits
76 > something to bugzilla and/or submissions@g.o. (we're not
77 > requiring them to sign this doc, so it's not enforceable) [1]
78 >
79 > * Because we allow the storage things like kernel patches, etc. for
80 > which we do not own the copyright, in CVS (in the files/ directories),
81 > it shows that we're selectively enforcing the copyright assignment. In
82 > the past, this has often resulted in the entire document being tossed in
83 > court.
84 >
85 > * It is questionable whether or not we have any legal right to enforce
86 > copyright claims for non-US devs. They're not US citizens, so it's not
87 > clear if they're subject to US copyright restrictions/assignments.
88 >
89 > * We selectively enforce who must sign it.
90 >
91 > * [minor] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/copyright/index.xml needs
92 > to be updated to remove Daniel from the text.
93 >
94 > 1. Since we are a community driven project, we often times accept
95 > software patches from non-developer (not affiliated with Gentoo) users
96 > and incorporate them into our tree. We usually do this two ways. The
97 > first way is to have users mail their software patches to
98 > submissions@g.o. From there, the patch filters down to the
99 > correct people. The second method is to have the user post the software
100 > patch to our bugtracking system at http://bugs.gentoo.org. The same
101 > process follows from there.
102 >
103 > The Copyright assignment document can be found at
104 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/copyright/assignment.txt.
105 >
106 > I look forward to hearing from you.
107 >
108 > Regards,
111 John Davis
112 Gentoo Linux Developer
113 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>
114
115 ----
116 GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
117 Fingerprint: 4F9E 41F6 D072 5C1A 636C 2D46 B92C 4823 E281 41BB