From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-trustees] FW: [gentoo-nfp] I met with my lawyer
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:43:41
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Daniel Robbins [mailto:drobbins@g.o]
3 Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 3:17 PM
4 To: gentoo-managers@l.g.o; gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
5 Subject: [gentoo-nfp] I met with my lawyer
6
7 Hi Guys,
8
9 I met with my lawyer and this is the tenative plan for the not for profit.
10 In this plan, I am attempting to balance the commitments I have made to
11 individuals with my desire to see Gentoo proceed on the best possible
12 footing. I am sharing this with you all so I can get feedback and
13 suggestions. I also need to get this NFP set up in the next few days so it's
14 important that suggestions are shared soon and are focused on some
15 implementable change to this plan. (Ie. This isn't a good time to start a
16 long discussion about some tangential topic that could eat up a lot of our
17 time and not assist in refining the plan below.)
18
19 Gentoo Foundation, Inc. proposal
20
21 The purpose of this foundation is to hold the intellectual property of the
22 Gentoo free software project. It will have a board of trustees. This
23 not-for-profit will be an open membership trade association.
24
25 Trade associations (unlike charities) can be more restrictive in their
26 requirements for membership. Membership will be limited to Gentoo
27 developers. The criteria for being a Gentoo developer will be determined by
28 the board of trustees. There will be no membership dues.
29
30 There will be an initial board of trustees appointed, which will be selected
31 to meet my commitments to existing managers and developers. This initial
32 board of trustees will serve for one year from the establishment of the
33 Gentoo Foundation, after which point a the board will be elected by the
34 members (Gentoo developers.) After that, regular elections will be held
35 (election cycle TBD) to determine board members.
36
37 The Gentoo Store will pay for the establishment of this not-for-profit. The
38 Gentoo Store will also pay for the Gentoo Foundation's application for
39 501(c)(6) federal trade association status (~$5000 or so?)
40
41 Gentoo Technologies, Inc. will transfer the copyrights and trademarks to the
42 Gentoo Foundation. In exchange, the Gentoo Foundation will grant Daniel
43 Robbins & Gentoo Technologies, Inc. perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free
44 use of the "Gentoo" trademark and "G" logo. This will allow me to continue
45 to run the Gentoo Store if I want.
46
47 I will be a member of the initial board of trustess, to give legitimacy to
48 the Gentoo Foundation and also show my commitment to the future success of
49 this entity.
50
51 If you have any suggestions for improvement or for coordinator/project lead
52 structure, try to see if you can suggest it so that it can work in the
53 context of what I've just outlined above.
54
55 Sincerely,
56
57 Daniel